Press Release Date: 21 Jan 08|
Overall employment rate and monthly salaries increased
More graduates find full-time permanent employment
Polytechnic graduates are well sought-after by employers, with more of them landing full-time permanent jobs. The latest Graduate Employment Survey by the five polytechnics reveals an increase in the overall employment rate and monthly salaries of both fresh and post-National Service (NS) graduates. For both categories of graduates, the percentage of economically active graduates in full-time permanent employment has also improved.
The highly-positive survey findings could be attributed to Singapore’s strong economic climate and robust industry growth in 2007. The results are also a significant affirmation of the value that polytechnic graduates have added to the Singapore economy.
Some 7,832 fresh graduates took part in the Survey. As at 1 October 2007, 93 % of fresh graduates who are economically active found jobs within six months. This is an improvement, compared to the overall employment rate of 91.3 % in 2006. About 75.3% of economically active fresh graduates are in full-time permanent employment, an improvement from 72.1 % in 2006.
Fresh graduates in full-time permanent positions also command higher salaries. The average gross monthly salary is $1,805, which represents a 5.5 % increase compared to $1,711 in 2006.
Of the fresh graduates with full-time permanent jobs, 87.7 % have taken up jobs in the private sector while the remaining 12.3 % are in the public sector.
Post-National Service Graduates
Post-NS graduates have also done well.
The overall employment rate of 3,416 respondents is 92.7 %, an increase from 91.1 % in 2006. In addition, the percentage of economically active Post-NS graduates holding full-time permanent jobs also showed an increase – from 79.9 % in 2006 to 82.3 % in 2007.
Post-NS graduates in full-time permanent employment are also earning higher salaries. The average gross monthly salary is $2,171, an increase compared with $2,029 in 2006.
Of the Post-NS graduates with full-time permanent jobs, 78.3 % joined the private sector while the remaining 21.7 % took up positions in the public sector.
Monthly Salaries by Course Categories
The highest gross monthly salaries of fresh graduates are from these sectors: Maritime, Engineering, Information Technology and Accountancy, Business, Finance & Law. As for Post-NS graduates, those who command the highest gross monthly salaries are from Maritime, Accountancy, Business, Finance & Law, Built Environment and Information Technology. A comparison of the course categories is in the table below:
|Accountancy, Business, Finance & Law||$1,668 ||$1,780 ||$2,037 ||$2,282 |
|Built Environment||$1,645 ||$1,723 ||$1,987 ||$2,213 |
|Chemical & Life Sciences & Other Sciences||$1,638 ||$1,749 ||$1,961 ||$2,170 |
|Engineering (Electrical & Electronic)||$1,698 ||$1,895 ||$1,931 ||$2,133 |
|Engineering (Mechanical & Manufacturing)||$1,728 ||$1,923 ||$1,946 ||$2,168 |
|Health Sciences||$1,657 ||$1,744 ||$1,875 ||$2,031 |
|Information Technology||$1,701 ||$1,796 ||$2,024 ||$2,187 |
|Maritime||$1,807 ||$1,981 ||$2,064 ||$2,364 |
|Media & Design||$1,642 ||$1,710 ||$1,979 ||$2,077 ||All Courses||$1,678 ||$1,805 ||$1,973 ||$2,171
* Basic Salary refers to the average monthly salary of graduates who were working in full time permanent jobs as at 1 October 2007. Fixed allowances were included.
+ Gross Salary refers to the average basic salary plus overtime pay and commissions of graduates who were working in full-time permanent jobs as at 1 October 2007. Bonuses were excluded.
Background Facts about the Survey
- The annual Graduate Employment Survey was jointly conducted by Nanyang, Ngee Ann, Republic, Singapore and Temasek polytechnics between October 2007 and December 2007.
- The Survey, conducted to ascertain the employment status of polytechnic graduates, attracted a total of about 11,000 respondents. They were asked to respond based on their employment status on 1st October 2007.
- The respondents comprised polytechnic graduates who had completed their studies in 2007 and were not liable for National Service after graduation, and Post-NS polytechnic graduates of 2004 who had completed their full-time National Service between 1 April 2006 and 31 March 2007.
A more detailed report of the survey findings is at Appendix I.