As part of Singapore’s regionalisation drive, Temasek Polytechnic students are encouraged to perform their internship overseas. Through this, they gain an international outlook and global mindset, as well as practical experience and life skills in a real work environment. We invite companies to lend a hand in training your future workforce through the Overseas Student Internship Programme (OSIP).
We welcome you to be our partner-in-training, both in Singapore and/or overseas. To let us know your needs and to confirm placement, please complete the OSIP Schedule & Response Form (PDF:151KB).and return it to us by fax, post or email within 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can the OSIP offer you?
As a participating company, you stand to benefit in the following ways:
- Meet your short-term manpower needs by engaging our students
- Tap on the skills and talents of our students to implement systems/projects and streamline processes and/or train your staff in the use of systems software tools
- Identify prospective employees among the students attached to your company
- Provide inputs to our curriculum to better reflect the changing demands of your industry, and the skills needed for overseas work
2. How long is the attachment?
The length of the attachment varies from 10 weeks to as long as 6 months according to the requirements of the diploma.
Please refer to the OSIP Schedule & Response Form (PDF:151KB).
3. How much do you have to pay our students?
TP will cover the student’s airfare and VISA application and recommend that companies provide accommodation and/or an allowance to students, though this is not a requirement. In the event that companies are unable to provide accommodation, we would request for their assistance to make arrangements for the students’ accommodation.
4. Can your company select/interview the students?
Temasek Polytechnic will work with the company to identify students to meet the company’s requirements for the internship position. Interview with students can be arranged.
5. How does the OSIP work?
Companies keen on participating in our OSIP scheme may choose one of the following models of collaboration:
- TP students are assigned to your company for the entire period of the work attachment. This scheme is the most common model of OSIP.
- TP students work in your Singapore branch/office for a period of time, followed by a stint in your overseas branch/office.
- TP students undertake project work on TP campus in Singapore followed by an overseas attachment for the rest of the attachment period. This scheme will allow our students to complete part or all of the development work in Singapore, and allow time for students to install/implement the system and conduct training on how to operate the system/machine within your company.
- The participating company will submit a training schedule, describing the duties of OSIP students.
- A TP staff will act as a liaison officer between the company and the students.
- Student attendance will be recorded and monitored by the participating company.
- Each student will submit a report detailing his/her work in the organisation.
- The participating company and the liaison officer will assess the student's performance, and the overall result will be recorded in his/her transcript.
Other Useful Information
Employers who require students to work out of Singapore for the entire period of the internship should inform us at least three months before the start of the assignment. Employers may notify us one month in advance in the case of short trips (e.g. a few days to two weeks) to neighbouring countries.
We suggest that our students go in pairs, ie., two students of the same gender. It will be more economical (you can house two students together), and provides companionship for the students. Companies in certain countries may have a gender preference, so do let us know if you have any. For a start, we suggest that we either send two male students or four students (two male and two female).