At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Describe phases of cell growth.
- Describe the procedures of generating stem cells.
- Differentiate therapeutic and reproductive cloning.
- Define regenerative medicine.
- List examples of how regenerative medicine can successfully change the quality of healthcare.
- Perform basic cell culture techniques.
- Describe the purpose of gene therapy.
- List the applications of gene therapy.
- Discuss the ethical issues involved in using stem cells, cloning and gene therapy.
- Perform the detection of inherited mutated genes as a genetic counsellor.
Students will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Quiz 1: 30%
- Quiz 2: 20%
- Post lab: 10%
- Class participation: 10%
- Project/Presentation: 30%
Students are required to:
- Fulfill 75% of the attendance and
- Obtain a pass mark of at least 50% upon completion of the module.