Copyright Notice to TP Freshies
Copyright is a protection that covers published and unpublished literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works, whatever the forms of expression, provided such works are fixed in a tangible or material form. This means that as long as you can see it, hear it and/or touch it - it may be protected. If it is an essay, a play, a song, a funky original dance move, a photograph, HTML coding or any computer information that can be set on paper, recorded on tape or saved to a hard drive/floppy disk, it may be protected. Copyright laws grant the creator the exclusive right to reproduce, prepare derivative works, distribute, perform and display the work publicly. Exclusive means only the creator of such work, not anybody who has access to it and decides to grab it.
It i s ILLEGAL to violate any of the rights provided by the law to the owner of a copyright. Temasek Polytechnic respects the ownership of intellectual material governed by copyright laws. All TP students are expected to know and comply with the copyright laws that affect them.
Here is a list of Do’s & Don’ts:
What you CAN do:
- Make reasonable copies of a work(s) i.e. 10% of the total number of pages in a physical edition of the work;
- Make not more than 10% of the total number of bytes in an electronic edition of the work; or
- Make copies of not more than 1 chapter of the work (even if 1 chapter is more than 10% of the number of pages or bytes).
What you must NEVER do:
- Photocopy an entire book/work;
- Copy more than 10% of the total number of pages or more than one chapter unless new copies are unavailable within a reasonable time at an ordinary price;
- Copy more than one article from a given periodical, unless they relate to the same subject matter.
- If you are in doubt, please feel f ree to consult your lecturers for clarification. Please do NOT assume what you are copying is ok.
NOTE that INFRINGING the COPYRIGHT ACT could lead you with a hefty FINE or even a JAIL term!
The Registrar's Office
Academic integrity is expected of all students at Temasek Polytechnic. The Polytechnic requires all students to be assessed for their own work only. All students are required to give proper acknowledgement of all original sources of work used in their assignments, projects or other assessed work.
Note that disciplinary action will be taken for students caught for plagiarism. The severity includes failing the subject, suspension and removal from course.
Click here for more details