Ezlink Card


The TransitLink Student Concession Card entitles you to enjoy student rate when you travel on public transport. Below are the steps which guide you in your application.

Step 1 Your record and photo will only be submitted to TransitLink by TP in batches after you are successfully enrolled into TP.

From 23 Mar, 2020, you may check whether your record submitted to TransitLink by TP is ready for you to apply at TransitLink website.

(For International Students, do ensure that you have updated your FIN number with TP Admissions Office).
Step 2 If your record is ready for submitting an application, apply online at TransitLink website.
Step 3 Due to the current Circuit Breaker and School Closure situation, we will inform you the date and venue for collecting your new Tertiary Student Concession Card via email in due time, depending on the current situation.


Cost of Card Application

A fee of $8.10 (non-refundable) is payable upon the application of Diploma Student Concession Card :
- $5 Card Cost
- $3.10 Personalisation fee
A minimum top-up of $10 travel value is required to activate the card.

PFP graduates admitted in AY2019 for the Poly Foundation Programme and subsequently progressed to full-time diploma courses in AY2020 need not re-apply for the TransitLink Concession Card if they have already applied in AY2019. We will email to all PFP students with instruction to proceed to extend the expiry date of the concession card after Transit Link has confirmed on the processing of data.


Concession Schemes / Add Value / Replacement Service

Please visit TransitLink's website.


Student Development & Alumni Affairs Department

If you require further clarification on TransitLink Student Concession / Ezlink Card related matters, please email to us at sdaa@tp.edu.sg or call us at 6780 5656 or 6780 4059.

Student Insurance

Student Group Personal Accident (GPA) Insurance 

Student GPA Insurance

Student Work Injury Compensation

Student WIC Insurance

Group Hospitalisation and Surgical Insurance with Mental Health Rider for Full-Time International Students

Student GHSI

TP has arranged for a GHSI policy to make hospitalisation expenses more affordable for all full-time international students. The policy is from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2019.

Please refer to www.mycg.com.sg/poly-ghsi for more information on:

  • Coverage
  • Apply for Letter of Guarantee (LOG)
  • How to make a Claim?
  • What is not covered?
  • When does the cover end?
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

For all enquiries, please contact MYCG Pte Ltd.
Email: customercare@mycg.com.sg
Phone: +65 6635 2160
Fax: +65 6635 2161
24-hour Hotline: +65 9336 0159 (for emergencies after business hours)

CCA Transcript Printing

The Co-Curricular Activity (CCA) Transcript is an official record of students’ participation in, and contribution towards CCA during the period of study in Temasek Polytechnic. 
Upon successful completion of the course of study, students will receive a complimentary copy of the CCA Transcript during the Graduation Ceremony.

Additional copy(s) of the CCA Transcript can be obtained on the spot (in person or by proxy) at Student Services using the prescribed form at a non-refundable fee of $5.40 per copy (inclusive of prevailing GST).

A processing period of 5 working days is required if the collection mode for requested CCA transcript is by post (excludes delivery time by post). All applications will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis.

Management of Tuberculosis Cases

Existing Students

  • Staff members / students are advised to be alert to students who have prolonged and productive cough (lasting 3 weeks or more).
  • School to advise identified student to seek medical attention. The School may also be alerted by MOH or Tuberculosis Control Unit (TBCU) of any confirmed TB cases.
  • School to work with TBCU on contact screening of the TB case and send affected staff and/or students for screening.
  • School to alert Student Services once TB case is established.
  • Student with TB may return to school after he/she has completed the medical leave and is certified by the doctor that he/she is not in the infectious stage and does not pose a risk to others around him/her.
  • Student would need to sign an undertaking prior to returning to school. The SOP for students who had earlier contracted TB but no longer in the infectious stage shall also apply.

New Students

  • During enrolment and upon scanning the medical report submitted, Student Services will know of enrollees who (1) are recovering from TB or (2) had earlier contracted TB but who are no longer in the infectious stage. For (1), the SOP for existing students will apply.

For all reported cases of TB and those who had contracted TB earlier but are no longer in the infectious stage

Student Services will arrange for student to sign an undertaking stating the following conditions, in the presence of School Representative (preferably, Course Manager) and Student Services staff:

  • Student should go for regular check-ups and take any medication as recommended & prescribed by a Registered Medical Practitioner.
  • Student should meet with Course Manager & update on medical condition on a six-monthly basis throughout the course of study in Temasek Polytechnic till he/she is certified to have fully recovered.
  • Should student fail to comply with any of the above conditions, student may be requested to terminate his/her studies.
  • If student is Not Certified as FIT to return to school by the doctor, student may be requested to defer his/her studies.

The signed undertaking form is to be filed in the student’s dossier.

Management of Haze Situation in Temasek Polytechnic

Students are advised to adhere to the MOH Haze Health Advisory guidelines below.

Should the haze condition reach 'Very Unhealthy' range (i.e., NEA's 24-hour PSI reading >200) :

  • all outdoor activities and strenuous indoor activities will be suspended until further notice and;
  • additional indoor areas as listed in Annex 1 will be set aside for students usage.

If you experience haze-related symptoms while in campus, please seek assistance from your School General Office or the Student & Alumni Affairs Department.

Updated 20 October 2015