The Centre of Innovation for Complementary Health Product (COI-CHP) was established in 2016 as a strategic partnership with Enterprise Singapore (formerly known as SPRING Singapore) to support Singapore-based Complementary Health Product (CHP) enterprises meet the growing challenges and technological advances.
With a multi-disciplinary and research-intensive team, this national Centre offers innovative and customised solutions to enterprises in CHP product development that includes product formulation, chemical and biological analysis, as well as safety and efficacy testing. The three categories of CHP are traditional medicines, health supplements and functional foods.
Visit by Chongqing Economic and Information Commission – 21 November 2023
After the official meeting between PM Lee and Mr. Yuan Jia Jun, China's Communist Party secretary for Chongqing on July 19, 2023, a team of government officials, led by Ms. Luo Li, vice dean of the Chongqing Economic and Information Commission, visited COI-CHP. During the visit, we discussed collaborating on modernizing and internationalizing Traditional Medicine. This involves co-developing CHP products and facilitating staff and student exchanges between Chongqing Liang Jiang New District, Chongqing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Natura Biotechnology Pte Ltd, and COI-CHP.
5th Liyang Conference Best Poster Award – 9 November 2023
The COI-CHP team led by Dr Li Huan (Li Huan, Xuejia, Samin, Yuan Ting) participated in the 5th Liyang conference, a joint international conference on pharmaceutical science organised by Airlangga University, Indonesia. Out of 28 projects presented by different universities from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Philippines, the COI-CHP project presented by Samin Yasar Ahmad on in-vitro antiviral efficacy of oral spray against human coronavirus 229E was awarded the Best Poster Award, 1st Winner. COI-CHP also explored the opportunity for student and staff exchange between School of Applied Science and Faculty of Pharmacy of Airlangga University.
Visit by Ms Fiona Ma, Treasurer of the State of California - 13 September
The purpose of Ms Fiona Ma’s visit is to understand Singapore’s CHP sector, know about the technological advances and trends of the CHP sector moving forward. This is to help bridge companies and capital to further the collaboration between Singapore and California, and across the United States. COI-CHP leveraged on this partnership to embark on new opportunities that supports our SMEs expansion and internationalisation into the US market, particularly California.
The visit included an overview of COI-CHP’s comprehensive range of capabilities as well as a tour of our specialized facilities. COI-CHP’s funding agency, Enterprise Singapore (ESG), also shared their policies and programmes in place to support internationalisation for our SMEs. Attendees for this event include our TP BOG member, Ms Lisa Liaw and industry partners from ESG, AMEC Business Advisory Pte. Ltd., Natura Biotechnologies Tai Tong Ah Company Pte Ltd and Eu Yan Sang International Ltd.
Chemical & Biological Analysis
- Active ingredients testing
- Antioxidant testing
- Banned substances testing
- Heavy metal and mineral testing
- In vivo pharmacokinetic testing
- Metabolomics study
- Microbial testing
- Residual antibiotic testing
- Residual pesticide testing
Safety & Efficacy
- Anti-viral activity testing
- Gut microbiome study
- In vitro & in vivo efficacy testing
- In vitro & in vivo toxicological analysis
- In vitro & in vivo prebiotic effect analysis
- Skin irritation testing
- Stability studies
- Innovative functional food formulation
- Innovative herbal product formulation
- Applied nutrition research
- Li Huan, Lim Esther, Ang Gladys, Lim Zhi Qing, Cai Hui Martin, Loh Jo-anne, Ng Celine, Seetoh Peijia, Tian Feng Edmund, Goh Lay Beng. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Arnebiae Radix and Dictamni Cortex and efficacy study of herbal extracts on allergic contact dermatitis using 3D human reconstructed epidermis. Chinese Herbal Medicines, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chmed.2021.10.006.
- Narayanasamy Sarawathi, Chan Kit Lun, Cai Hui Martin, Ahmad Hilman Bin Abdul Razak, Tay Boon Keat, Miao Huang. Biobutanol production from sugarcane bagasse by Clostridium beijerinckii strains. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/bab.1865.
- Yang Hong, Xue Xue Jia, Li Huan, Siti Norasikin Apandi, Tay-Chan Su Chin, Ong Seng Poon. Tian Edmund. The relative antioxidant activity and steric structure of green tea catechins–A kinetic approach. Food Chemistry, 2018, 257, 399-405.
- Chong Lor Huai, Li Huan, Isaac Wetzel, Cho Han Sang, Toh Yi Chin. A liver-immune coculture array for predicting systemic drug-induced skin sensitization. Lab on a Chip, 2018, 18, 3239-3250.
- Lee Kok Onn, Tian Feng Edmund, Cai Hui Martin, Wang Hong, Chan Yiong Huak, Sim Meng Kwoon. Bioavailability of Orally Administered Des-Aspartate-Angiotensin I in Human Subjects. Drugs R&D, 2018, 18, 51-54.
- Yang Hong, Xue Xue Jia, Li Huan, Tay-Chan Su Chin, Ong Seng Poon. Tian Feng, Edmund. A new parameter to simultaneously assess antioxidant activity for multiple phenolic compounds present in food products. Food Chemistry, 2017, 229, 215-222.
- Tian Feng Edmund, Li Huan, Cai Hui Martin, Kong Matthew. A Pressing Need: Standardisation of TCM Granule Products. Research & Reviews: Journal of Botanical Sciences, 2017, 6, 75-77.
- Li Huan, Yang Hong, Xue XueJia, Liu Xiao, Tian Feng, Poh Yan Hong, Cai Hao, Lee Yian Hoon, Yu Hanry, Ong Seng Poon, Cai Bao Chang. A Metabolomics Approach to Study the Dual Modulation by Characterization of Chemical Alteration during Processing of Gardeniae Fructus using UPLC-ESI-QTOF. Analytical Methods, 2016, 8, 3629-3635.
Specialist Diploma in Laboratory Management and Instrumentation
Enrol in this course to be exposed to the fundamental separation science behind various advanced techniques such as chromatography and mass spectrometry. Gain awareness on the importance of ISO systems in the context of laboratory management and client servicing.
For Course Details, please click here.
Dr Edmund, TIAN Feng
- BSc (Zhejiang University, China, Biomedical Engineering)
- PhD (University of Otago, New Zealand, Analytical Chemistry)
Dr Tian has more than 15 years of experience in analytical science, both in R&D and industrial consultancy services for the TCM & Functional food industry, including studies on the quality, safety and efficacy of herbal products. Dr Tian has initiated and operationalised more than 20 industrial TCM studies, with a total project value of S$300K.
Dr LI Huan
- BSc (Harbin University of Commerce, China, Pharmaceutical Engineering)
- BSc (1st Class Honours, University of Aston, UK, Biomedical Science)
- MSc (Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, China, Pharmacy in Chinese Medicine)
- PhD (Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, China, Pharmacy in Chinese Medicine)
Dr Li has 10 years of experience in pharmacokinetics study, instrumental analysis, basic animal surgery, 3D cell culture, virus and bacteria work. Prior to joining TP, she had worked on 3D hepatocyte and drug toxicity testing for 2 years at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, A*STAR.
Dr XUE Xuejia
- BSc (Nanjing University, China, Chemistry & Polymer)
- MEng (Southeast University, China, Chemistry & Chemical Engineering)
- PhD (National University of Singapore, Chemistry)
Dr Xue has more than 10 years of teaching and research experience in the area of physical and inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, as well as instrumental analysis. Dr Xue main areas of research include the analysis of chemical and biological materials, as well as the instrumental-based chemical testing of HPLC, LC-QqQ and QTOF. Recently, he has developed the chromatographic methods for profiling active ingredients in herbs, supplements, and functional foods.
Dr Charmay KOH Pearl Lin
- BSc (1st Class Honours, Nanyang Technological University, Biological Sciences with 2nd major in Psychology)
- PhD (Nanyang Technological University, Biological Sciences, Neuroscience)
Dr Koh has experience in subcloning of plasmids, virus purification, cell culture, and basic molecular biological techniques. She also has extensive workings with rodents (such as handling, surgery, and behavioural experiments), as well as on calcium imaging and fluorescence microscopy.
Mr ANG Hao Chun, Filbert
Senior Research Executive
- Diploma in Perfumery and Cosmetic Science (Singapore Polytechnic)
- BSc (Hons), National University of Singapore, Science (Chemistry)
Filbert was previously from the R&D formulation science industry where he was mainly involved in home and personal care products. He is trained in formulation science, organic synthesis and general chemistry. His current research areas of interest are in analytical chemistry, chemical biology, personal care formulation, as well as instrumental analysis.
Mr TEE Pok Siang
Senior Research Executive
- Diploma (Temasek Polytechnic, Chemical Engineering)
- BSc (Hons, National University of Singapore, Chemistry)
Pok Siang was previously involved in water technology research focused on algae. He is trained in the analysis of protein, carbohydrates, fats, heavy metals, lutein and beta-carotene. With his area of expertise in ICP-OES, GC and HPLC instrumental analysis, his current research areas of interest are in analytical chemistry, sustainable green chemistry, instrumental analysis, as well as method development and validation.
Mr Samin Yasar AHMAD
- Diploma (Temasek Polytechnic, Biotechnology)
Samin has a background in virology and molecular analysis, with prior experience in conducting in-vitro cell-based studies in immunomodulatory studies, antiviral research, and molecular analysis of biomarkers and gene regulation. He is also skilled in performing in-vivo preclinical studies on rodents, including safety and toxicity assessments, disease modelling, and evaluating drug efficacy. His research interests revolve around both cell-based and animal-modelling on immune responses, immune modulation activities, as well as instrumental analysis.