When in doubt, please check with your Lecturer or Technical Support Officer (TSO) in charge of the lab.
For your own safety and the safety of other lab users, as well as for the efficient operation of our labs, please read and observe the following general lab rules:
- log in/out at the start and end of your lab session, where applicable
- book equipment in advance before use, where applicable
- report any missing or faulty tools or equipment to the Lecturer or TSO in-charge
- sign out any equipment or manual which you wish to borrow
- return all tools and equipment to their original location after use
- report any items which you have lost or damaged; you may be required to replace it
- switch off all mobile phones especially when using sensitive equipment
- clean up your workspace before you leave
- clear all waste and dispose them into assigned containers
- enter the labs without the permission of the lecturer or TSO in-charge
- touch any equipment or machine if you are unsure of its operating procedure
- change the setting of computer software
- violate any copyrights laws
- pass computer passwords to others
- download or install any unauthorised software in the computers in the lab
- relocate equipment without prior permission
- visit porno sites / bring porno materials into a lab
- misuse lab equipment and facilities
- play, sleep, read newspapers or listen to music in the lab
- eat and drink in the lab
- litter in the lab
Safety Rules - Personal Safety
When working on a machine:
- Always wear safety glasses
- Put on safety goggles even if you are wearing spectacles
- Avoid horseplay at all times
- Remove all rings, bracelets, necklaces and watches
- Roll your sleeves up to the elbow and tuck in any loose clothing
- Wear protective covered shoes
- Get immediate first aid for any injuries, no matter how minor they are
- Do not eat and drink in the lab
- Remember that skirts, dress, shorts, sleeveless shirts, Bermudas, sandals or slippers are NOT allowed
Safety Rules - Work Safety
- Do not work on the machine if you are not feeling well
- Do not try to start or operate a machine unless you fully understand its mechanism
- Stop the machine first before attempting to do any measurement or adjustment
- Never attempt to stop the rotating spindle of any machine with your hands
- Only one student is allowed to operate a machine at any one time
- Keep the working area free from oil, tools or any hazardous parts
- Never use rags near the moving part(s) of a machine
- Do not allow any machine to run unattended
- Dispose of oily rags properly
- Enlist the help of the Lecturer or TSO in charge when handling hazardous chemical substances
- Do not play, sleep, read newspapers or listen to music in the lab
- Ensure that hazardous substances are handled using suitable equipment
- Refer to the Lecturer or TSO in charge, if you have any doubts
OTHER GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Students are required to bring their matriculation card for identification during the free access lab session and produce their matriculation card to the Lecturer or TSO in charge when required.
- Students are responsible for the lab facilities during the lab access session. Lab facilities include the furniture, computers, computer accessories and tools in the lab. Any damage or loss, prior to signing in, should be reported to the TSO in charge immediately; otherwise, students may be held responsible once they login.
- Students are to use the facility solely for learning and academic purposes.
- When in the labs, students must behave and work quietly for the convenience of others.
- No visiting of pornographic site, downloading/copying of unauthorised software and unrelated material such as games & MP3 files etc are allowed in all labs.
- No playing of computer games is allowed.
- Students are expected to maintain good housekeeping at all times in the lab, and this includes tidying up their work area before leaving the lab at the end of a session, returning all components to their respective places after use, and switching off all equipment at the end of the session (unless otherwise instructed).
- When inside a lab, students must be properly attired according to the TP Student Dress Code for labs, and this includes wearing proper covered shoes, tucking in or tying up loose clothing and long hair, and removing all accessories.
- All the rules and regulations, as well as safety rules, published in the Student Handbook will apply to the use of labs.
- Any student involved in vandalism of any form while in the lab will be reported to his/her Course Manager for disciplinary action.
- Students will be responsible for the loss or damage of equipment, tools or accessories that they use, and may be required to replace these items. They are therefore advised to take utmost care of any equipment that they use.
1) If a student infringes any of the lab rules and regulations stipulated or behaves in a manner that is deemed inappropriate, the TSO in charge reserve the right to disallow him/her the use of any of the lab facilities. In addition, the student may be banned from using the lab for the rest of the semester.
2) On a needs basis, Subject Leaders can also request for their respective labs (other than the above-mentioned labs) to be opened for students to work on their assignments outside of their normal lab sessions.